Skip to main content
© 2016 New York Institute of Technology
- Circulating Books:
Books may be borrowed for a two week period (the medical library lends books for one week) by students registered for the current semester. Students will need a valid NYIT ID card to borrow books. Summer students need to show verification of their registration status for the semester. Circulating materials may be renewed once, if there are no reservations.
- Inter-campus Loans:
If the desired book is located at another campus library, students should request a loan at the circulation desk.
- Reserve Books:
These are available at the Circulation desk & may be borrowed for three hours at a time for in-library use.
These are available at the circulation desks in the Manhattan, Wisser, & the Medical Library & may be borrowed for three hours at a time for in-library use.
These are available at the Circulation desks in the Manhattan & Wisser Libraries. iPads may be borrowed for three hours at a time for in-library use.
- Non-Circulating Materials:
Items that are available for use but must remain in the library include periodicals, microfilm & microfiche, reference books, reserve materials, audio-visual materials, laptops , iPads, & rare materials or items placed on special status.
- METRO Cards/Research Loan Program:
NYIT students, faculty, & staff may request one-day METRO Cards for onsite use of materials at other academic libraries within New York City, providing such materials are not available at NYIT or the New York Public Library & its local branches. The Research Loan Program permits members of the NYIT community in good standing to directly borrow materials from libraries on Long Island (Nassau & Suffolk Counties). To obtain the necessary cards & forms for these programs, contact the information desk at any NYIT library.
Fines & Other Rules
- A fine of $5 per hour is charged for each hour a laptop or iPad is overdue. If not returned after one week, the fine is $1200 for a laptop & $500 for an iPad.
- The fine for each overdue item from the regular circulating collection is $.15 per day that the library is open.
- The fine for lost books is $100, plus a $20 processing fee.
- Reserve books & other non-circulating materials (i.e. reference books, periodicals) may not be removed from the library at any time. A late fee of $1 per hour is charged for each hour a reserve book is overdue within the first 24 hours. A late fee of $2 per hour will be charged for each hour the book is overdue for the 2nd day & a $50 per day fee for each day the book is overdue following the 2nd day with a maximum of $225.
- Eating, drinking, & use of cell phones are permitted only in designated areas.
- No items may be borrowed until fines are cleared.
- Librarians reserve the right to adjust fines if items are expensive, rare, out-of-print, or of an otherwise special nature.
- A delinquent account will result in the withholding of grades, transcripts, diplomas, & delay the registration process.
- Patrons should not loan their ID cards to other users; the ID owner is responsible for all materials borrowed under their ID card. Library workers reserve the right to request additional photo ID documentation.
- Library staff reserves the right to inspect all bags carried by persons leaving the library.
- Cases of theft, mutilation, deliberate damage, or tampering with library materials or equipment will be referred to the dean of students for disciplinary action.