Search databases for full-text and citations of design journal and monographs. Click on any link below to open a database. If you are off campus, enter your NYIT ID when prompted.
Ready Reference sources for reliable and accurate topical overview. Includes Encyclopedias, Dictionaries, Directories, Handbooks, Product and Detail Guides.
The vast majority of Art, Architecture, and Design knowledge are not available through Google. You may find the book or article online but will need to obtain a physical copy to access all the information. Copyright restrictions protect creators and designers. Not all quality material will be found via the Open Web.
Journals and Books: While art and architecture journals are available to search digitally, often the full text databases such as ArtSource, Avery Index and Architecture Publications Index, and JSTOR, contain only the text and not the high-quality reproductions.
- Adapted from, "Why You Need to Come to Haas Arts Library" by Lindsay King, http://guides.library.yale.edu/artsebooks, accessed 2/16/17.
Identify a Keyword Strategy
1. Breakdown the Questions:
Ex: "Investigate Chicago Tribune Project by Adolf Loos"
Loos AND Chicago
2. Choose your sources carefully. Start with one listed below.
3. Use the hyperlinks within the search results. Read the details about each source to understand what a source -- book, article, or image is about. Information about the source will also give you clues to help find material
4. Use filters in the left hand column to find just what you need.
Date . . .
Location. . .
Geography. . .
Subject . . .
5. Read the descriptive text again to learn the source location.
6. Repeat across more than one database.